lightning strike

Chris:

Was this after we had that really bad electrical storm roll through C. FL
last week??

You said the crack goes from the fireplace to the water heater? Is there any
reason for a water pipe to be near the fireplace and then run back to the
water heater? Does the plumbing all work still with no noticeable leaks?

I am not sure how the electricity traveled, but the cracking sounds right.
The intense heat generated by the lightning may have superheated any
residual moisture in the concrete causing it to expand and crack. This
happened on one of our jobs a few months ago only as a result of an
electrical wiring mistake. They charged up a building with 480 volts instead
of 220 on a super deluxe capacitor (ok, I made that up because I don't know
jack about electricity), anyway, it blew the panel off the wall and caused
an EXPLOSION. Luckily noone was hurt. It blew a chunk of the CMU wall off
and cracked the slab, from arcing and subsequent heat. We figured also due
to heating of the moisture in the concrete. I can send you a couple of pics
upon request.

Cracks around a pool- could be completely unrelated. Do you see any signs of
fire/electrical heat damage? Why would the electricity be flowing in the
pool slab, maybe through the wiring in the slab? (Usually pool wiring is
buried in some conduit below the slab.)

Let us know your conclusions!!

Andrew Kester, EI
Longwood, FL