RE: don't mess with Texas

"-I have heard first hand from people who have done development work
there,
that there used to not be, or currently is not, a development/zoning
board
for Houston. In other words, developers can build willy-nilly wherever
they
want (which they seem to do here even with a zoning board)."

As Bill said, there are other ways those issues get resolved, and
believe it or not a combination of common sense are market forces
dictate that things get laid out pretty well anyway.  People like to say
that a factory could get built in the middle of a residential
neighborhood, but it probably wouldn't because it wouldn't make a great
deal of economic sense to buy up residential plots to build a factory
when you could just go to an industrial park and build your factory a
little cheaper and likely with better truck access.  Similarly, even if
no one forces a developer to put in some retail near a housing tract
they may get some nearby anyway, just because stores like to be by
people and a big block of people without any stores makes an attractive
investment for a company planning a new store.  Even if the developer
could build something ridiculous doesn't mean they can find someone to
pay for it.  Back in my Houston days I did notice an odd propensity to
see mid-rise or high rise building sitting out all by themselves amongst
low-rise construction, a little way away from the clusters of tall
buildings, but that didn't really seem like a problem, though I'm sure
most cities would nix that idea.

Paul Crocker, PE