RE: Plan Stamping

>There was a time in this country when you did not need a degree to be either
>a lawyer OR an engineer.
Or a doctor. But it's not as bad as it sounds--I don't know about
engineering, but in the 1880's lawyers and doctors could 'read' law and
medicince and work under a 'preceptor' which was a formalized system of
mentoring. The candidate would work for a number of years under the
personal tutelage of the preceptor and then take some sort of examination
before going into practice. That system has survived, but as an adjunct
to formal degree training. My co-op experience went something like that.
It took only an additional year, but the delayed graduation was worth it.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw