joist mods

Cutting the bottom of the joists and rewelding and all of that sounds like a
structurally bad idea. The joist was designed for a particular moment, and
the bottom chord designed as a tension chord for a particular force, and the
webs for shear. So a redesign of some sorts would be in order, much like
someone else mentioned earlier. Seems like a LOT of work, and labor is much
more expensive then steel. I would look into a steel beam, channel, TS, and
place then on either side of the joists at the top chord, or in between. In
otherwords, just sub out the joists with new framing. Design the steel to
carry the loads so that the joists don't have to do anything. Of course, you
may have limitations depending on the span and getting a length of steel
long enough to fit up there...

HTH,

Andrew Kester, EI
Longwood, FL