Re: lightning strike

During a lightning strike, the lightning is going to
try and find a way to the ground.  This can be through
multiple conducting materials, including piping inside
the house.  If there is gas piping to the fireplace,
that gas piping is connected to a ground rod pounded
into the ground via a rather large copper conductor
right where the gas meter is placed.

Similarly, any reinforcing steel or anything that
conducts electricity near a pool (metal hand rails,
...) is electrically grounded and normally bonded
together.

Once the lightning strikes, it will run all over the
place going to the ground.  If the soil is not very
conductive, it will follow the least path of
Resistance until it is dissipated.  That means the
lightning strike can be at the ground and still jump
to the house depending the local conditions.

There's a lot of energy there that needs to be
dissipated.  Once it's in the house via the electrical
wiring, phone wiring, water piping, gas piping, etc.,
it can do a lot of damage.  All these utilities are
normally grounded for your electrical safety.  It's a
way out for stray electricity but also a way in.

Paul Blomberg
Phoenix, AZ