Re: AISC Shapes: k_det vs. k_des

If I recall correctly, it is due to the permitted tolerances and
differences from mill to mill.  Different mills/manufacturers will have
different "k" values.  AISC then "accounts" for this by listing the worst
case "k" for that particular situation.  The worst case "k" for design
would be a minimum value for "k" which would result in minimum design
section properties and worst case stresses.  The worst case "k" for
detailing would be a maximum value for "k" which would make sure that in
ALL case tightening clearances, etc can be maintain (in otherwords, if you
use a k of 3.00 inches to detail a connection, but you end up with an
actual k of 3.21 inches, then you could have problems tightening bolts,
etc).

I am sure that Charlie Carter (or someone else) will be more than willing
to either confirm the above or correct me if I am recalling incorrectly.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI