Re: Joist Modification

I went through a similar exercise about five years ago.  My joists
were parallel chord joists deeper than yours.  I had the joists
shored, cut out the bottom chord and installed a new bottom chord
over the desired length (it was near the end of the joist).  I left
the old web diagonals in place (round bars) welded them to the new
bottom chord and then installed new diagonals on the outside of the
chord angles.

The only problem arose on some long span steel joists which consisted
of double angle top and bottom chords, vertical double angles and
flat bar diagonals.  Went through similar exercise.  Making the
attachments was more of a problem but we succeeded.

The problem area was attaching the new bottom chord to the old.  I
provided a sloping transition bottom chord and weld the 2 chords
(full penetration) on to back-up bars and then added diagonals to
resist the forces caused by the change in direction at the chord
splices.  I did not modify the end.  I just re-connected everything.
They're still standing thanks to the Great Engineer in the sky.

Gary Hodgson, P.Eng.
Niagara Falls, ON