Re: AISC Shapes: k_det vs. k_des

Eugene,
Just to save Charlie Carter a little work, I am pasting below his answer
when I asked the same question a few months ago.

Rick Burch
Columbia, SC

Per Charlie:

The fractional value is for detailing and is based upon the largest
fillet
reported to AISC in the survey we do of steel producers. Thus, the steel
will fit up no matter from which producer it is purchased. The decimal
value
is for design and is based upon the smallest fillet reported to AISC in
the
survey. Thus, the steel will have the minimum strength predicted no
matter
from which producer it is purchased.

The new T, k and k1 values were the subject of an advisory in Modern
Steel
Construction that is accessible here:

http://www.aisc.org/Template.cfm?Section=Advisories_and_Technical_Bulletins&;
template=/PressRelease/PressReleaseDisplay.cfm&PressReleaseID=17&PressReleas
eCategoryID=3&ShowArchives=0

Long link. May have to cut and paste. Or go to aisc.org. Click News.
Click
Advisories and Technical Bulletins. Click Changes to T, k and k1....