Re: foreign engineer requirements

>My one big complaint would be with most engineering degrees in the US (like
>my own), those from "liberal arts programs", is that a good 2 years + is
>spent taking liberal arts classes.
To the extent that engineers will be dealing with the laity, we need all
the breadth we can get. Too many engineers can't communicate because
they're not well-read, and god knows the inability to write clearly is a
huge problem. We need to know about history so we don't repeat the
mistakes of previous generations, we need to know about literature so we
can understand ideas and appreciate the value of written english. We
should know about art to appreciate beauty and have some basic
understanding of philosophy to understand how other people think. We
Americans are notorious for knowing only one language and a lack of
understanding of how others live, so the ability to work in a global
economy means we need to understand something of geography and other
cultures. Engineers have too much of a reputation for having narrow
interests and a preoccupation with things, as it stands. That hurts our
reputations as contributing members of society and it really sucks at
cocktail parties.

> I contend that I have forgotten
>most of this information and outside of Jeopardy it is of little use.
College isn't going to teach us all we need to know about anything,
especially engineering, but it should prepare us to learn about life
beyond the edge of our desks and not just attempt to teach us a trade. I
expect that most of us who have been out of college more than 20 years
don't remember everything we were told (good thing, too...) but I suspect
more of us than not remember the process of learning about non-technical
things. I think I'm the better for having read Thurber's 'The Catbird
Seat' or Wilfred Owen's 'Dulce et Decorum est' despite incorporating
neither into my professional practice.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw