RE: Educated vs. "Trained"

Great, show me the trade school option - oh wait there isn't one.  I MUST be
forced-fed political views and philosophies I strongly disagree with (and
must write they are correct to pass the class).  I also must learn to form
the same "opinions" as many liberal arts instructors, or I am wrong.
Never-mind conflicting statistics or "research" to prove any point they
want.

Look, I have no problem with those who are interested in this branch of
academics.  It simply is not my cup of tea.  Let me study what I want, and
you study what you want.  Don't try and make me a better person at the
expense of making me a better engineer.  If I want to learn about something,
I am fully capable of researching topics on my own.  There are many avenues
for me to better myself outside of a mandated university program.

As for education for the sake of education.  Great!  Let people study what
they want.  As Mark Twain said: "Don't let school interfere with your
education." (Yes, I get the irony me quoting Twain in this mess.  Now, did
you know I heard this quote from a friend.  Not at school?)

Tirade off, sorry touchy subject for me.

Jake Watson, One very irritated recent graduate (Class of '99)
Salt Lake City, UT