RE: foreign engineer requirements

I started out life with an ABET-accredited degree in Naval Architecture
(aka Mech-E on water).  Never used it.  In my early 30s God changed my
heart while sleeping one night and I went back to school for 2 years to
get an MSCE in Structural Engineering.

Right after graduation I went straight to New Zealand for two years,
working at a top-notch consulting firm.  My colleagues who spent 4 years
at that country's technical schools were noticeably better than American
counterparts.  Why?  More focus on structural and less on liberal arts.
They weren't smarter, just more focused.

Those are the facts and I suspect that in today's global economy we are
going to be rapidly outgunned with our kinder, gentler education.  I
don't oppose a well-rounded education if it develops good discipline.
Social decay and other personal issues are more likely to blame for our
weaknesses anyway.

Ed Tornberg, PE
Blazer Industries, Inc.

Aumsville, OR