Re: future generations of engineers (was foreign engineer requirements)

David wrote: "Visit a foreign factory and watch them operate with little to no concern for what they are doing to the environment.  Everything from manufacturing oils to passivation or plating chemicals to scrap goes into the ground or municipal waste.  Worker safety is very low on the priority list ---
evidenced by minimal lighting in production areas where heavy equipment is operated.  Note how many workers are missing fingers, hands, etc.  Eyewear? Steel-tipped boots?  Safety-wash stations?  Even the dead-cheap earplugs aren't available in many shops.  Air pollution?  It's just a part of manufacturing and life.  I'd wager that more $$ is spent on capturing just the emissions from the typical U.S.-based bolt-making machine ---- than is spent on all compliance and safety issues combined in a plant in China, Mexico, or India.  Certainly the ones I've seen."
David,

In India or China, Missing fingers are not the issue. Staying alive is more important than missing fingers. If American manufactures spend big $$s to comply with safety issues, it is because of your prosperity & standard of living, which values missing fingers. The value of a missing finger will run higher than the $$s spent on safety compliance. In India or China, the value of a missing finger will not get you cost of one bolt (US price).

If I run a factory in India, with all the safety compliances, my product will become costly & I will price myself out of the market, because others won't. Again CAPITALISM (read my reply to Cliff), which we have just started to embrace, and so our standard of living, has started to increase together with everything else including safety compliance. Once we reach a standard of living where a missing finger would cost more than sfety compliance, we will have the safety compliance equivalent to US standards. It cannot be the other way round.

As for the importer in US, if he doesn't import from India, somebody else will. And if there is a law passed out against it, there will be some alternative route thru some other country, which achieves nothing except making the product maybe a little costlier, but still less expensive than US manufactured. So again CAPITALISM.....Tarriffs & protectionism would not help which will hurt the US more than anybody else.

Regards

Pankaj Gupta
Structures Online
India