From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 10:46 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Construction Estimating

Stan Caldwell wrote:

. > Bill:

. > I recommend that you buy two or three of the annual R. S. Means books.
. > They also offer CD and online tools. None of this is perfect, but it is
. > what we use most often.  Of course, we avoid making construction cost
. > estimates whenever possible!

. > Regards,

. > Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.

I agree with Stan, but prefer the books to the CD.  The computer between my
ears can discern more with a glance on the printed page than I can find
searching for hours on a CD.

Means' Square Foot Costs book can give preliminary estimates of construction
costs and provides examples on how the costs are developed using their
Assemblies Cost book.

One of the things that I have used the Means books for is to determine the
reasonableness of schedules of values and T&M pay requests.  On one roof
failure a number of years ago, the contractor was billing the owner $14 a day
per screw post shoring.  Means quickly showed that screw post shoring rented
for $14 *a month*!

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Bill Polhemus wrote:

. > I am frequently called upon by clients to render an estimate of
. > construction cost. I don't mind this at all, except for the fact that I've
. > never come up with a satisfactory set of tools to do it.

. > I have tried various spreadsheet formats and even looked at software
. > available for purchase, but they are all geared more toward estimates FOR
. > construction cost, not OF construction cost.

. > The distinction is that I, as engineer, am not concerned about the grisly
. > details of what goes into an estimate. I want to work with gross effects.
. > The contractor wants to be able to apply minute controls; I simply want a
. > bottom line with a reasonable breakdown of how I got there without all the
. > ghastly detail.

. > I wonder if anyone here has come up with or developed a tool that you like
. > to use for making such estimates, and if you would care to share it with
. > the rest of us. For myself, I'm tired of flailing around trying to find
. > something that fits.

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org