Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 6:38 PM
Subject: RE: 200# Load on Cable Guardrail?

We haven't, but the interpretation by the City is correctly applied as far as the 4" sphere test goes since it is a guardrail.  We have seen the requirement before and have usually opted to provide a midspan (i.e. between the columns) vertical support to reduce the length over which the cable spans vertically.  This support is in no way able to take car impact loads so the horizontal span remains the column clear spacing +/-.  We usually provide the support as the cables have a tendency to relax reducing the preload and allowing larger deflections to become possible.

That said, if your cables are at 4"oc then they are 3 1/2" clr.  If my math is correct, you need a 270lb load or so for a 1/2" deflection assuming 20" wide columns at 15'oc and a total cable length of 120',  a 4000lb preload and 270ksi uncoated PT strand. So you could make the argument that they meet the test.  Note that the elongation calc is sensitive to preload and total cable length, i.e. less preload or more length reduces the vertical load required to deflect the cable 1/2".  You could also do an empirical test on an existing structure if the City will buy into that method.

Nick Blackburn, PE