Open Building with Gable using ASCE 7-95

I believe the 95, 97, or 02 version of ASCE 7 expect you to use the monoslope coefficients for gable type roofs on open structures.  The L/B ratio is calculated from the windward side of the roof from the eave to the ridge (roof pitch 3:12 plus or minus 10 degrees). The roof acts like a bluff body so the slope of the leeward roof is irrelevant.  The MWF is a function of the area presented to the wind from any particular direction.  (Cf is applied perpendicular to the roof surface inward or outward). I would treat the case with the gable end windward as a wall and use 0.8.  There may be a more rational value for this case however.

Christopher A. Banbury, PE
Vice President
Nicholson Engineering Associates, Inc.
PO Box 12230, Brooksville, FL 34603
7468 Horse Lake RD, Brooksville, FL 34601
(352) 799-0170 (o)         (352) 754-9167 (f)
www.nicholson-engineering.com