Re: future generations of engineers (was

> In India  or China, the value of a missing finger will not get you cost
> of one bolt  (US price).
It's amazing how people don't seem able to profit by the mistakes of the
US and Western Europe over the past 500 years. The lesson seems
simple--treat people like shit and eventually they'll turn on you. Give
people a main chance at a piece of the pie and they won't snatch the
whole pie and the silver you ate it with.

> If I run a factory in India, with all the safety compliances, my product
>  will become costly & I will price myself out of the market, because
> others won't. Again CAPITALISM (read my reply to Cliff), which we have
> just  started to embrace, and so our standard of living, has started
> to increase together with everything else including safety compliance.
> Once we reach a standard of living where a missing finger would cost
> more than sfety  compliance, we will have the safety compliance equivalent
> to US  standards. It cannot be the other way round.
Same ol' same ol. No difference between "I'm King George III--it's my
right to rule and your right to do what I say" or "I'm the mine owner--I
have the money, so I make the rules, and one of the rules, John Evans, is
that we get to black list any miner who attempts to organize a union,"
which was why my great grandfather was out of work for two years in the
1870's. You can call it CAPITALISM or the Dictatorship of the Proletariat
or the New Order--"It is the same spirit that says, 'You work and toil
and earn bread, and I'll eat it.'" (Abraham Lincoln's words). Lincoln
also said, "The Autocrat of all the Russias will resign his crown, and
proclaim his subjects free republicans sooner than will our American
masters voluntarily give up their slaves." And I daresay he would
probably have included the owners who blacklisted my great grandfather or
ran Roger's sweatshop along with Pankaj's factory owner in the category
of 'American masters.'

Eventually people decide they'd had enough and they walk out. Over here
and in Europe reason prevailed (mostly) and people like Theodore
Roosevelt realized that we needed to play fair. In other places the
factory owners said, 'You can go to hell,' and wound up against a wall.
There's nothing magic about the US, either--It damn near happened in the
hard coal regions of Pennsylvania where my great grandfather worked and
in a lot of other mines and factories. People did die

> As for the importer in US, if he doesn't import from India, somebody else
> will. And if there is a law passed out against it, there will be some
> alternative route thru some other country, which achieves nothing
> except making the product maybe a little costlier, but still less expensive
> than   US manufactured. So again CAPITALISM.....
That's one scenario, but there's another, like what happened in the US
Civil war. The south believed that Britain and France would support them
in maintaining slavery because both countries were so dependent on cheap
imported cotton for their textile mills. But it turned out otherwise.
There were indeed temporary cotton shortages but there was little support
for slavery in both Britain and France and eventually slavery was
overturned and other sources for cotton turned up. The south had a very
rough time of it in the succeeding years, but eventually southerners
began to realize that when you treat people like shit, they turn on you.
Which is why Atlanta is Atlanta, and not some back-water whose history
ended when Sherman torched it.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw