Old UBC Base Shear

Gerard,

>From 1967 UBC:

   V = ZKCW

   A bearing wall building is a "box" building; K = 1.33

   California is Seismic Zone 3 in 1969: Z = 1.0

   C = 0.05/[T]^(1/3) but need not exceed 0.10.  For all one and two story
         buildings, C shall be considered as 0.10

   T is the fundamental period of vibration = 0.05hsubn/sqrt(D)

      hsubn is height above base to uppermost part of main structure
      D = dimension of building parallel to direction of force.

   W = total dead load including partitions.  (For warehouse or storage
         buildings, include 25% of floor LL)

HTH

BTW, what other posts are you referring to?  This is the first one that I
have seen from you concerning a 1969 building.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Gerard Madden wrote:

. > Can someone tell me what the base shear for a building in CA built in
. > 1969 is? Or fax me the information  (408.564.5530) to calculate it
. > myself ?

. > The building is CMU Bearing/Shearwall system, zone 4, default soil
. > profile.

. > My other posts went unanswered, so I guess I'm on my own here.

. > Thanks,
. > -gerard