RE: Garage Cable Guardrails (was 200# Load on Cable Guardrail)

Sorry, I haven't been completely following the thread - but what is the problem with the 200# load - that you will be able to push the cables apart more than 4 in.?

Typical design is for a 6000 lb dead load / 10000 lb factored load.

The CI article mentioned by other people is very good.  There is a PTI document on barrier cables which, like most PTI documents, is not very good.

I would note that strand is fairly common as a barrier system, although I think there have been some issues with it providing a "ladder" that people could climb up and jump over - I've seen some vertical systems done in response to this but they are a lot more expensive.

What is not common anymore, but you will still see in older garages, is wire rope systems.  Wire rope is not the same thing as strand,  it is not tensioned and anchored,  it is simply run along the supports and then clamped.  There is usually alot of slack in the rope itself and it is not clear how much load the clamp could take, especially after it has been rusting for 20 years.

Usually you see rope systems on county garages;  counties typically have open ended engineering contracts for inspection of their facilites, which means whoever is doing the inspection has absolutely no idea what he or she is looking at.

Gail Kelley