Re: Open Building with Gable using ASCE

> From: Roger Turk <73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com>

> Tripp Howard wrote:
>
> . > You can get Cf for this condition from Army TM 5-809-1, Chpt. 5 "Wind
> . > Loads". It gives Cf for arched and gabled roofs on open sheds.  I printed

> Something doesn't seem right here.  The gabled roof should act as an airfoil,
> resulting in a net uplift.
>
> IIRC, 30 deg. is the slope where wind on the windward roof changes from
> suction to pressure.

It would act a lot more like an airfoil if the underside was flat or
nearly flat relative to the exterior profile. Typically, with open gable
sheds, the interior roof is open with the same profile as the exterior
roof.

Also, the windward slope uplift is a result of wind blocked by a wall at
the windward face and forced with a vertical component past the eave.
This condition does not exist with an open structure so the transition
slope is different.

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International