RE: Future Generations of Engineers - Penn State Experience

Title: Message

I would like to chime in here and say that from what I can understand, it appears that I was quite fortunate to be a part of the Penn State AE program.  I guess this is a little bit of a plug for the program also.  We always had to take some non-engineering courses in the 5 year program, but there was never a semester that we did not take some courses that led us to our ultimate destination of being an engineer (or CM if you chose that route).  First year we learned to read blueprints and how to produce a set of construction drawings.  Second and third years were generalized courses in structural, mechanical and plumbing, electrical and lighting, and construction management.  Fourth and fifth years were specialized courses in your option (either structural, mechanical/electrical, or CM).  Our structural courses included CE courses in soils and foundations, so we crossed over to the CE department at times, also.

From what it sounds like, we received a broad education and a technical education as well.  I think that some of the Penn State AE’s will let you know the same.  (Right Charlie?)

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Tim

Timothy R. Campbell, P.E.

tcampbell(--nospam--at)chcstructural.com