Base Shears UBC and IBC

I came across something interesting this week. I was comparing a loadbearing cmu shear wall building with UBC97 and IBC. The IBC essential category 3 with an importance factor of 1.5 was 166% higher base shear than UBC non-essential.

I then was comparing loadbearing concrete shear wall building and the IBC essential category 3 was only 2.5% higher than UBC non-essential.

It seems the IBC contours are a lot more accurate in defining the load over grouping an entire region at the same level. Any one else noticed these interesting things.

The cmu R was reduced from UBC to 2.5 and was divided into 3 categories special, intermediate, and ordinary.

Letting UBC be the base = 1.0

CMU Loadbearing (ordinary masonry shear wall)
UBC   1.0
UBC Essential 1.25
IBC  1.11
IBC Essential (category 3)   1.66