RE: Future Generations of Engineers

Scott,
I disagree with your first paragraph.  Everybody
may know a little about medecine or law but not
enough to criticize their practitioner.  However
everybody thinks they know how to build something
and they can get quite critical because they
believe that we are always heavying things up to
cover our butts.  Nobody criticizes electrical oe
mechanical engineers the way they go after the
structural guys.
This reminds me of the time a customer came
storming into my office accusing me of wasting his
money by over-sizing footings.  After a minute or
two of ranting, he let me ask where he got this
idea.  He said the ready-mix concrete truck driver
told him they were the biggest footings he had
ever seen for a building of that size! A--H---
Gary