RE: Garage Cable Guardrails (was 200# Lo

This had been in Tucson/Pima County's local amendments to the UBC for many
years and although it had been submitted for inclusion into the UBC, it had
been repeatedly rejected because "ladder effect" was not clearly defined.

For spacing of verticals, see E. O. Stephenson's articles in ICBO's Building
Standards Magazine.  For those of you with small children, create small
mockups of railings and see how easily children can go thru and up and over
railings.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Jim Getaz wrote:

. >         List,
. >                 BOCA, in a 1990's edition, prohibited guardrails that
. > could have a ladder effect, so cable guardrails disappeared for a few
. > years. IBC does not have the prohibition. When I have the opportunity, I
. > recommend to architects the wisdom of BOCA's decision.
. >         Jim Getaz
. >         Winchester, Virginia