RE: Future Generations of Engineers

Stan,

Then why not advocate a Bachelors of Science in Structural Engineering?
Why do you seem to advocate leaving a "flawed" system in place and just
adding another year to the mix?

If the push was to have as alternate options to the "general" civil
engineering degree more concentrated degree paths in structural or geotech
etc., then I would have more respect for that initiative and be much more
receptive.  Instead, the push seems to be towards taking the easy way out
by just make people take MORE formal education rather than dealing with
the more difficult issue of getting the current formal education path to
reflect the more specialized nature civil engineering in this day and age.

To date, I yet have to hear a solid arguement as to what the real problem
is (I have heard multiple reasons for the ASCE push...they cannot seem to
pick a "message" and stick to it) nor hear a solid arguement as to why a
master's degree will solve the problem (assuming they bothter to
articulate the problem).  The only group that I have seen that has taken a
somewhat reasonable approach is NCSEA.  The proposed cirriculum for a
structural engineering education is certainly reasonable.  The only
problem that I have with what NCSEA proposes is that they want to take the
easy way out by having those proposed required classes be done through a
master's degree instead of trying to get universities and ABET to create
an ABET accreditted undergraduate structural engineering degree.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI