Re: House Trusses.

You may be able to take a live load reduction and decrease the duration factor for wood and steel (for truss plates) before commencing the repair. If the truss spans are short a repair may not be needed and a few plates may have to be reinforced using plywood or nail on plates. I know in Florida a live load of 30 psf is commonly used but if the pitch is greater than 1 1/2/12 you can reduce it to 20 psf according to the Florida Building code. But check with the County and the Engineer of Record for the project.

From: "Tim Spengler" <timothyps(--nospam--at)cleanpak.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: House Trusses.
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 07:56:53 -0700

I've got a client who needs his house trusses reinforces due to the
"discovery" that his cement tile roof exceeds their design capacity. I'm
looking at reinforcing the top chord with 2x10's and kicking up the
tension chord connections to accomadate the added load.  If anyone has
any good  references or pointers regarding this type of retro I sure
appreciate you passing it along.

Tim Spengler PE, SE.