From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2003 1:13 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Future Generations of Engineers

Gary,

You just point out part a variation on the problem.  Again, most people
don't understand what the structural engineer does.  But, because we do
something that "seems" so "ordinary", they are willing to take the word
of
someone who appears to know "stuff" in the realm of structural
engineering
because of their close proximity job wise rather than the structural
engineer.