From: Kestner, James W. [mailto:jkestner(--nospam--at)somervilleinc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 12:54 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Freezer Slab

Jim:

I read a report one time that said that it has been observed that some silty soil can draw water up thru capillary action as far as 20 feet away. A freezer building or an ice skating rink that has been in continual operation for a long period of time can have large ice lenses form and heave the floor slab.

Ground water can, of course, fluctuate so the fact that there was no ground water in the test pit may or may not have any bearing. It could have been taken during a dry year or a dry season.

What kind of soil do you have? What kind of gradation does it have? How much material passes a number 200 sieve?

One possible solution is to dig out the ice lense and replace it with non-frost susceptible fill material, insulation and slab. What solution were you thinking of?

Jim K.

[Kestner, Jim]  -----Original Message-----