From: Bill Allen
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 3:04 PM
Subject: RE: Future Generations of Engineers

How did Stan get a bulls eye on his back?

In the years I've read his posts, I never got the impression he was arrogant. Sure, he often talks about salaries higher than what I'm used to seeing, but I say, good for him! Let's here more of these stories! They sound like success stories to me. With regards to his son's salary for doing F.E. analysis on offsore structures, good for him, too! Not sure if I would want that job. Nor would I want to go back to Texas, either, but that's another story. He's also given some good advice for those who would want to be more "successful" (if one defines "success" as making more money). His advice on networking and getting higher on the food chain are two examples that come to mind. For me, I'm grateful that (just about) every dingbat here in CA needs calcs or at least a stamp. That way, I can have the lifestyle I want (i.e., come and go when I want and not wear a tie) and still have a roof over my head.

No, I don't compete with the "lowballers" and my fees are high enough so that not every one of my proposals gets accepted. I also don't have five months of (low fee) backlog, either. So, I guess I'm priced just about right. I have made a (business) decision (a long time ago) to carry insurance, not because of the liability but so that I can do business with clients who do commercial structures which are typically simpler and command better fees. I also don't practice in a limited market where the engineers to residence ratio is excessive nor are the typical structures simple, making a "reasonable" fee difficult to justify. Also, as most of you know, I don't spend near as much time here on this list. I'm spending my time "smarter" by either producing billable hours or enjoying life.

I've said in the past, that most of the people in our profession who are not doing as well as they think they should probably have only themselves to blame. We, as a group, are not that good in marketing, are too easily convinced to lower our fees and are unwilling to pay for a lobbying effort to change things. In short, we are our own worst enemies and we deserve what we get.

In the meantime, Stan, hold your head high and keep telling your success stories. Don't be shy about telling us how proud you are of your son, too. They are inspiring to most and will help keep the cynics from taking over the "room".

Regards,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
V/F (949) 248-8588
San Juan Capistrano, CA