RE: Future Generations of Engineers

>I actually like the engineering path to licensure MUCH better than
>what lawyers do (at least my understanding of it) and to a certain degree
>better than what doctors do.
Some lawyers (at least) get to clerk for judges, which I understand is
very hard, low paid work, but a good introduction to the practice of law.
Check <https://lawclerks.ao.uscourts.gov/employinfo.htm>

>(i.e. non-related general interst courses and
>pre-pre-pre-requisite courses such as math and physics in engineering
Interesting. My first two years included 3 quarters of pre-calculus math,
3 quarters of chemistry, 3 quarters of physics, 2 quarters of economics,
2 quarters of history, 4 quarters of drafting and descriptive geometry, 5
quarters of english composition, literature and speaking, 3 quarters of
calculus and 1 quarter each of strength of materials, statics, surveying,
engineering orientation and fundamentals of logic. The math, physics,
chemistry and mechanics met 5 times a week, the rest 3 times a week. So I
took 18 hours a week except for two quarters where I was taking 20. I
sure think all that coursework was very important both for technical
instruction and general personal cultivation, particularly the English
courses. Are things that much different now?

>I don't buy the need for more formal education for engineering students
>because I don't feel that it is the role of universities to graduate fully
>prepared, profficient engineers.
I really do agree. If that didn't come across in my post, I'll say it
now. I was a co-op and that was probably the most valuable professional
training I got. In fact working in a couple of engineering offices was
what got me to switch from Aero Engineering to Engineering Mechanics when
I was a junior. I didn't know it at the time, but that was probably the
most important career decision I ever made, and I owe Dan Pletta (EM
Department head) a great debt for the help he gave me in making the
switch.

>I just don't see adding a required
>masters degree as fixing such a problem.
Absolutely agreed. The problem I see with MS and PhD level coursework is
that it becomes increasingly narrow. No offense, but think that most
engineering departments which focus on graduate work would prefer that
all their students be so specialized that they would graduate knowing
everything about nothing. As opposed to the B Ad department who would
like their graduates to have such a broad education that they graduate
knowing nothing about everything. ;->

Of course people like J. P. Den Hartog are the exception to the above.
I've mentioned it before but it's worth emphasizing. Here's a marvellous
bio
<http://www.nap.edu/readingroom/books/biomems/jdenhartog.html>
Here's another set of bios
<http://www.technotimes.org/AMW/Index.htm>