From: Gary Hodgson & Associates [mailto:ghodgson(--nospam--at)vaxxine.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 10:03 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Reinforcing High Basement Walls

I have a house where the basement wall height exceeds the max.
allowable 8'-2" in the code under the prescriptive requirements.  The
soil outside is also slightly higher than the code allowed 7'-7".  As
the house is near completion, the builder is panicking because the
local Building Dept. will not allow occupancy until they get the
foundation wall approved by an engineer.

In the absence of soils tests, I have always required vertical steel
straps to be bolted to the walls to act as reinforcing.

Does anyone have any better/alternative ideas?

Gary Hodgson, P.Eng.
Niagara Falls, ON