Anchoring to Concrete, ACI 318-02 Appendix D

Hello:

I have enjoyed reading your discussions for the past few years, and hope someone can provide me some guidance.

I need help clarifying and understanding the design of anchor rods with shear and tensile loadings in a confined pier. ACI 318-02 Appendix D.8 - (Required edge distances, spacings, and thicknesses to preclude splitting failure) and D4.2.1 both speak about providing supplementary reinforcement in the direction of the load, confining reinforcement, or both in the pier.  It states 3 references to help design for this reinforcement. The references are (as stated in Reference D), "Design of Fastenings in Concrete," "Fastenings to Concrete and Masonry Structures," and "Effect of Reinforcing Details on the Shear Resistance of Anchor Bolts under Reversed Cyclic Loading."  My first question is, which one of these references could anyone recommend to help me out the most for the following:

The reference I do have is the article from Engineering Journal AISC Second quarter 1983, "Design of Headed Anchor Bolts."
If anyone uses this reference, maybe you could help me understand this.  I am getting confused on Example #2:Type D (Bolts in a confined Pier).  The anchors are subject to combined shear and tension loading.  If I have a 24"x24" pier that already has 8 vertical bars with ties, is this example telling me that in addition to this steel, I would need to provide tension lap reinforcement (the 4- #4 "U-bars")  and additional shear reinforcement (another 4-#4 U-bars) around the anchors???  So now I would have 8-vertical bars with ties in the pier, and surrounding the anchors  I would need 4-#4 U-bars for tension load and 4-#4 U-bars for shear load, or is the steel that is already in the pier considered adequate confining reinforcement, and how is this figured??  In the design example, the pier has vertical bars and ties in it, and the additional "U"-bars.   The application is for a tall and narrow tower-type structure with a significant amount of uplift.   I have never seen this specified in previous designs by others, so I think I may be missing something here.

Thank you,
Angela Baughman, PE
Wausau, WI