Blocking around small holes in plywood shear walls?

Is anyone aware of a requirement for blocking around small holes in
plywood shear walls such that holes smaller than the specification would
not need to be blocked? Sorry, but I'm working with that antequated
building code known as the UBC. If someone who knows the dividing line
(6"x6"? 8"x8"?) and can cite a code reference, I would be most
appreciative. I've got a building inspector wanting the contractor to
block around EVERY little penetration. The contractor seems to recall a
"schedule" he once saw on a set of drawings (obviously not mine) which
would help him out.

TIA,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
V/F (949) 248-8588
San Juan Capistrano, CA