RE: Codes

Is it not true that the Governor's (of California) own review committee recommended the IBC early last year but he choose not to accept their recommendation?  You should have seen the code adoption process up here in Alaska...it seemed like everyone wanted to adopt the I-family of codes except for the plumbers, who wanted to keep the UBC.  And it barely passed.
-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Widmayer [mailto:SWidmayer(--nospam--at)WILLDAN.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 11:15 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Codes

For the last eighteen months or more, various California building code groups and other interested parties have been lobying and educating the building community for adoption of the IBC.  This has meant that the Building Official organizations (local regional chapters and CALBO, "Calif. Building Officials"), State Agencies, League of California Cities and a number of other organizations have recently stood before the California Building Standards Commission to express their support for and adoption of the IBC.  All of this effort by the users may not change the minds of the Commission.  They are either in the process of voting or will very soon and it seems that they have not listened to the affected parties, users, enforcement officials and practitioners of the codes.

Steve Widmayer, PE