From: Paul Feather [mailto:pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net]
Sent:
Wednesday, July 30, 2003 11:28 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Pancake Breakfasts - Boy I'm hungry

I am amazed at times at the dichotomy of our perceptions, but then I always have been so damn naive.

Let me see now....  Engineers do not have proper recognition in society, "We ain't go no respect", and how do we know? Well, we are not compensated adequately enough, there isn't enough VALUE$$ placed on our services.  But then, that's just money.

Want new school construction, better pass the bond, but remember you may have to pass on that new homeless shelter.  You want the new street widening and downtown redevelopment or the new Fire Station?  You want more cops on the street or an overdue increase in pay for public school teachers?  Money is the bottom line in our society.  Somewhere in the past we evolved a system where every choice and option can be reduced to a relative $$ figure in order to weigh the cost benefit and choose between otherwise incomparable allocations of the public resources.  How we (or our elected officials) decide to spend it reflects the values and morals of our society.  Or at least that part of the society that bothers to voice an opinion.  What does a political opinion cost these days anyway?  Damn glad I don't have to pay any attention to who gets elected or what their values are... I might have to sully myself by recognizing that there is money involved.  Good thing I'm a realist.

Well good thing you set me straight on the whole pancake breakfast thing.  I probably wouldn't fit in anyway.

I best get back to trying to earn a living.