Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2003 10:44 AM
Subject: Re: Heavy Timber Truss Connections

Pat,

I am not having a particular or specific problem per se, I am only in the conceptual design stages.  One the larger trusses I know I will have an approximately 800 k-ft moment.  Architectural intent is to utilize parallel chord trusses.  The second truss area is actually non-symmetrical pitched trusses with less than 50 k-ft of moment.

I am really looking for options.  Final geometry is not defined.  I can use double chords, single chords, timber webs or timber webs with steel rod tension members, almost anything.  I am trying to develop truss elevation options for an exposed space.  I know the connections will be a controlling factor in timber design, and I am trying to find examples of different truss connection methods and geometries.

I have looked in the AITC Timber manual, as another poster recommended, and the info is thorough but pretty basic.  Knife plate or side plate connections with multiple bolt rows.  I would like to explore any other options.  I do not need design examples, just pictures of particularly elegant or graceful trusses to help develop some ideas to explore.

I do not get the opportunity to design architecturally exposed systems as often as I would like, especially not in heavy timber, and I want to have some fun with it.