Re: Minimum Reinforcing in Compression M

Scott Maxwell wrote:

. > The minimum steel requirement is supposedly there due to the potential for
. > bending, even if there is no apparent bending on the member.

Scott,

It is my understanding that the minimum reinforcing in compression members is
to account for creep and shrinkage stresses in the concrete.  Creep and
shrinkage stress tests in the 1930's showed that low volumes of reinforcing
can yield due to creep and shrinkage, therefore not contribute to the
capacity of the compression member.  The minimum reinforcing requirements are
to ensure that there is sufficient reinforcing present so that it will not be
at yield due to creep and shrinkage.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona