IBC vs NFPA 5000 - Was: Calif and the ICC

Fellow Engineers,
For California engineers, there is no need to be alarmed whether the state adopts IBC or NFPA code, as both reference industry standard specifications - ACI, AISC, NDS, ASCE, NEHRP, and so on. At many instances, these standards, IBC, or NFPA are not as stringent as UBC in many regards. So, california will have to modify them to create California specific code. The much touted "one nation - one code" is practically never going to happen because every region, has its own requirements.

There has been much negative publicity about NFPA code. Rather than POLITICS, it seems it is about groups of people trying to protect their turfs. What's wrong with Fire Marshals wanting to have code which is safer for themselves and people they serve, and are expert on the issues? For example, if it is safer for people and the rescuers to have minimum 8' high ceiling than 7'-6", then let us adopt the safest code. Afterall, how many Building Officials have died in duty, and how many of them are experts on structures or building sciences? I was told that only the building officials have voting rights regarding code ammendments etc, not ordinary members who may be experts on issues like structures, or fire; and that any member of NFPA has a voting right.  Someboy correct me if I am wrong.

No hard feeling toward ICBO, but it seems to me ICBO is nervous about California adopting NFPA because they will not reap the same profit as it is making now by selling the code which somebody else wrote for them, and charging for "Research" reports.

Let the poor fire people also have some fun!

Klinger

THunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com wrote:

Martin,

You need to take off your engineering hat and think politics and money.

The NFPA requires metal piping and in many parts of the country this is  required to be installed by Union workers.  The IBC allows plastic piping which in many parts of the country is installed by non-Union workers.  The plumbers unions have united to push the NFPA code since it is obviously in their best interest.  The plumbers union has MONEY and they have POLITICAL clout.  As I have mentioned before, California (at least for the next three months) has one of the most liberal back-door-dealing Democratic governors in the Country who is so bad his approval rating is lower than Nixon during Watergate and he is now in the process of being recalled.  He stacked the commission with his union backed loyalists.

Another group that supports the NFPA code are the fire marshals.  Within most municipalities the fire marshals have much more stroke than the chief building officials.  Remember, he has all the neat looking fire trucks.

From the federal level you have Ted Kennedy who is also a liberal democrat who owes his career to the Unions.  Note that the NFPA is headquartered in Massachusetts.  Ted Kennedy has been submitting legislation trying to force the federal government to be code non-specific.  This removes any lock the IBC may have had on the "one code for the country" and opens the door to the NFPA.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Schwan, Martin K." <SchwanMK(--nospam--at)ci.anchorage.ak.us>

07/31/2003 06:35 PM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

"'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
RE: Calif and the ICC

I thought the intent of having one nation wide model code was so we didn't
have to learn several codes and if you cross a state or county line you did
have to play by a different set of rules.  Also didn't the government
"suggest" about 12 years ago to ICBO, BOCA, and SBCCI to get together on
this issue.  So what motivated NFPA (and IAPMO) to publish the NFPA 5000?
I'n not for (more) government regulations but it made sense to have one
model code.