RE: Reinforcing High Basement Walls

Peter,

This is typically true in many places in the US, as well.  In my neck of
the woods (Michigan), residential structures under 3500 sq ft are not
required to be design by an engineer or architect (i.e. not required to be
sealed).  As a result, most basement walls are not engineered and most
only meet prescriptive code provisions and end up being unreinforced (as
long as they meet certain conditions).  It is a rare thing in Michigan to
see reinforcement in the concrete basement walls of a house.  But, there
will be some in my walls if I ever build my "dream house".

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI