Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Party and Fire Walls

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Bob, Party walls are regulated in the 2000 IBC, section 503.2.  They are treated as fire walls with no openings allowed.  Party walls are fire walls; fire walls are not necessarily party walls, however.


-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Freeman [mailto:robert.freeman(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 12:08 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: Party and Fire Walls


Dear Clifford Schwinger:


Usually a party wall, or shared wall, is a legal boundary, (or sometimes a property line) between living units.  Not necessarily a fire wall.  They usually are not regulated by the Building Code


A fire wall only adds a certain amount of time for occupants to exit during a fire.  They are regulated by the Code.


The two types of walls can be built the same, but are legally separate with individual functions and requirements.


With Joy and Hope,

Bob Freeman, Architect

Structural Designer

Integrated Design Services, Inc.