Re: WWII Allowable Structural and Reinforcing Steel Stresses

"Hartzell, Frank" wrote:
I'm pretty long in the tooth but didn't study structural engineering until just after the war. I am aware that the allowable structural steel stress was increased for structures built during the war but am not sure about reinforcing steel. I seem to remember that the allowable increase for structural shapes was about 25%.

I have a publication entitled "War Production Board National Emergency Specifications for the Design, Fabrication and Erection of Structural Steel for Buildings," dated September 10, 1942.  It states that structural steel material must conform to "A-7, as amended to date." Net section tension and bending stresses stresses are listed as 24,000 psi.

--
Davis G. Parsons II, PE RA
a practical architectural engineer

"Education is what you get from reading the fine print;
 Experience is what you get from ignoring it."