Re: Beam x girder

beam x girder terms used primary in steel. for example wide flange beam versus plate girder. deep sections call girder. I don't at this moment what is the cut of depth.
In German standards these terms appliy to all materials
Träger, Wandartige träger

>>> smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu 8/22/2003 3:02:22 PM >>>
Silenio:

Generally speaking, a beam will be a "beam element" (i.e. loaded in such a
way that bending and shear are the primary stresses to deal with rather
than axial stresses) that does not have any other beam element framing
into it.  In otherwords, it will generally only carry loads from the
slab/flooring but not from other beams.  This means that beams will
typically only have uniform line loads on them.

A girder generally will be a "beam element" that has other beam elements
framing into it.  In otherwords, the loads that a girder carries are due
to beams that it supports rather than the slab itself.  This means that
girder will typically have point loads.

This is what I was "taught".  These would be the two ends of a spectrum.
You can also have a beam element that maybe primarily carries the slab but
does have maybe another beam element or two that framing into it.  If the
primary loading is still due to the slab, then I tend to still call it a
beam.  You can also have what I would consider to be girders that do
directly carry some slab load.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI