Re: Beam x girder

Himat:

No quite true from my experience.  I have seen the terms beams and griders
used just as much in concrete buildings as well with similar means to
what is used in steel buildings.  In addition, you get the term joist in
concrete construction, which are typically closely spaced "beams".  Wood
framing terms do get even more interesting to keep track of (joists,
rafters, etc).

Now, I will admit that things get a little more "murky" in concrete
construction largely because there are many more options that just
"stick-type" framing in concrete.  For example, you have have two-way slab
systems that will have beams on the perimeter of the bays.  But, in
reality, calling such perimeter "beam elements" beams is still consistant
with my previous post.  But, then you can have a two-way waffle slab with
perimeter beams.  In such a case, it could be argued that they should be
called perimeter girders since the two-way waffle slab is kind of like
joists framing in two directions and joists are basically closely spaced
beams (at least in concrete construction).

FWIW, things also change once you start talking about bridges.  The term
beam is typically used fairly interchangably with girder when talking
about bridge "beam elements".

If it helps, the following "definitions" are from the Building Design and
Construction Handbook:

beam - horizontal members

girders - heavily loaded beams or horizonatal members that support other
beams

Or from Dictionary.com:

beam - a squared-off log or a large, oblong piece of timber, metal, or
stone used especially as a horizontal support in construction ("editors"
note: not a particularlly good definition from a structural point of
view)

girder - a beam, as of steel, wood, or reinforced concrete, used as a main
horizontal support in a building or bridge

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI