information bulletin

SEAOSC recently had an interesting seminar at each of our three locations on Slab on Grade for Industrial Tilt-Up Buildings by Ajit S. Randhava, S.E., which described some of the methods to design these ubiquitous structural (or are they non-structural) elements.

This has brought up the interesting fact that the support of post and wheel loads on those building slabs is not specifically covered in either the UBC or the IBC.  This leaves room for much confusion among plan checkers and engineers as to the correct way to interpret the intent of the code when the slab is supposed to support such things as racks, mezzanines, equipment platforms, and heavy fork lift trucks.

There is a standard that deals with this; it is ACI 360R-92, “Design of Slabs on Grade,” and this could be referenced in our building code with the necessary code language explanation and restrictions.

The City of Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety has plans to develop an “Information Bulletin” on this for application within their jurisdiction.  This is an excellent first step in developing good code language that can bring about uniform and structurally correct handling of this important building element.

Colin Kumabe, S.E., is in charge of this effort, and he would welcome help from interested engineers who would like to contribute some of their time to help develop this Information Bulletin.

For those who are interested, please contact Colin at CKUMABE(--nospam--at)ladbs.lacity.org or (213) 482-0447, or me at RLHess(--nospam--at)HessEng.com.

Richard Hess

(sent by)

Virginia Walker

Office Manager