Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Beam x girder

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Title: Message
I usually distinguish a rafter from a joist in that I consider a rafter (i.e., "roof rafter") having a significant slope and a joist (i.e., "floor joist", "deck joist", "roof joist") being essentially flat.
Otherwise, I agree.
T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
V/F (949) 248-8588
San Juan Capistrano, CA
-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis Wish [mailto:dennis.wish(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Saturday, August 23, 2003 12:47 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: RE: Beam x girder

I've always thought it to be a priority of structural members, especially those used in panelized roof construction:
1. Girder
2. Beam
3. Purlin
4. Sub-purlin
5. Rafters/Joists (these two seem to be used interchangeably)
Dennis S. Wish, PE