Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Beam x girder

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
"What is the difference between Beam and Girder?

Best regards,

Silenio M. de Paulo"

As others have said, in common usage a girder is just
a big beam.  That's why we usually refer to built-up
steel shapes as plate girders--they're big.

I believe the term "girder" originally meant the beams
around the outside of a building, which supported
smaller infill beams.  These beams "girded" (encircled
or surrounded) the building.

Architectural engineering is endowed with many terms
whose meanings were probably a lot more specific a few
hundred years ago than they are now.  If anyone has
other examples, I'd be interested.  ("Waler" is one
I've always wondered about.  Did it wale?)

Mike Hemstad, P.E.
St. Paul, Minnesota

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********