From: dadie(--nospam--at)sbcglobal.net [mailto:dadie(--nospam--at)sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 9:28 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: rigid diaphragm chord forces?

in flexible diaphragm design, i can see the deep beam analogy and the
resulting chord forces

however, in rigid diaphragm design, i thought the whole point was that
the diaphragm (concrete slab over metal deck) was assumed rigid, has a
center of mass, has a center of rigidity and is controlled by rotation.
this rotation transmits forces to the lateral resisting elements below
based on their relative rigidities in shear only.

have i missed the point here?  if i did can you provide a design
reference / document that shows how rigid diaphragms develop chord
forces?

tia
da