Re: Live Load Reduction & Partitions

Thanks to all who replied.

I guess my rational in reducing partition loading as part of the live
load reduction is that live load reduction is based on a probability of
the entire area being loaded to the full load at one time.  It uses the
tributary area and converts it to an influence area.  At 20 psf what is
the probability that the entire area will be loaded with partitions that
closely spaced.  Take a metal stud partition with 5/8" gyp on each side.
It weighs about 8 psf per ASCE 7.  At 9 ft. high that is 72 plf.  That
gives a tributary floor area of just over 3.5 feet.  What is the
likelihood of having a large area (because you need a minimum influence
area to reduce live load) with partitions spaced at 7 feet on center?
Seems rather low to me.

Rich

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!