Re: frost wall question

Cliff,

        In Canada our primary use frost walls is to provide a foundation
that is lower the depth of frost penetration in order to prevent a
building or part of a building from being lifted due to frost action
below the foundation.  Normally, this would mean that the frost wall
under the unheated portion of the vestibule would be DEEPER than the
frost wall around the perimeter of the heated portion of your building.

        Incidentally, we often take advantage of the existence of frost
walls as a convenient location to hang insulation in order to provide
the added comfort of a warmer floor near the perimeter of a building.
This, of course, would be in compliance with your "gut feeling"; but
this is a secondary use, not the primary use.

        There are foundation conditions where frost walls are not
required despite deep frost penetration.  These would include some
bedrock and some gravels which have virtually no free moisture to freeze
and cause uplift problems.  You should discuss this with the
geotechnical engineer for your project.

        Hope this helps,

Regards,

H. daryl Richardson