Engineers & Abstract (?) Thinking

Title: Message
Hello all:

Has anyone seen those diagrams where simpler shapes are hidden within more complex ones?  I looked over some of those things and find that I can do the simpler ones quickly, but I thought I took too long when the hidden shapes to find became more complex and odd.  I'm not sure what the "norm" is, but I felt that I should have been able to do it quicker.  After I thought about it, I remembered that most of what I deal with on a day-to-day basis is so concrete (no pun intended) ... even when I think out of the box to solve a particular engineering problem, I am still dealing with concrete principles like engineering mechanics and material behavior.  Perhaps these perception tests steer away from the "that's the way it is" mentality -- some people are suited to it, but I don't know if an engineer should particularly be expected to be.  For me, if I have the time to study it, I can figure it out.

Anyone have any comments or experiences to share?

Thanks,
Dave Adams, S.E.
Lane Engineers, Inc.
Tulare, CA