Re: Reinforcing Masonry Shear Walls

Scott Maxwell wrote:

. > You determine the nominal shear capacity which is Vm + Vs and then it
. > goes on to specify what Vm and Vs are.

But, in masonry, as in concrete, we are really dealing with diagonal tension,
not shear, and once masonry/concrete cracks, Vm (or Vc) = 0.  So, after first
cracking only the steel can resist shear (diagonal tension) whether we are
designing in WSD or USD.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona